Monday, January 20, 2014

Words. >:( [2012/11/11]

Words are useless. And hard. And dumb. And... dumb.

Really, really dumb.

(Aka, this weekend I started trying to write my thesis! And work on a short story for Intermediate Fiction! IT IS NOT GOING WELL.)

Buuuuut I like you guys a lot so I'm going to make an effort and will NOT be writing an entry in freeform poetry. I can probably hold off on that one until the end of the semester, at least.

[Under the Cut: Election night, senior events, homework stuff, and pictures of cute animals, which I prefer not to think of so much as bait to draw you guys in as it is a reward for anyone who actually dares read my crazed ramblings.]

It has been a week, hasn't it, ducklings? Sort of? I mean, I don't exactly think I did anything particularly interesting over the weekend — I probably got dragged into hanging out with my friends or something, who for some reason seem to have a vested interest in me actually spending time with people who are not A) fictional or B) on the internet — but then Tuesday was election night! My night class started and ended early because my professor wanted us to be able to watch the results coming in.

...Oh, that's right. I had fiction on Tuesday night. We workshopped my story. That was totally fun and not at all like hitting myself in the face with a sledgehammer. WORDS ARE DUMB, OKAY.

Anyway, so then I got out and had plenty of time to invade Delightful Housemate David's room and watch the results coming in while pretending to do homework and other productive things. That... sort of worked? Mostly it just distracted me from getting freaked out too much. The race was SO CLOSE in certain states — states I wasn't expecting, too. North Carolina was way closer than I expected, and I did NOT think that Virginia would go blue.

(Fun fact: did you know that until the 2000 elections, red was not consistently the Republican color and blue was not consistently the Democrat color? Apparently they would switch off for every election, or else Democrats would be red because social liberals are typically red. I did not know this. The 2000 elections were really the first year I was aware of that sort of thing.)

So Has-Been-Mentioned Housemate Natalia and I considered going to Exley 150 to watch the results, but in the end we just stayed in Delightful Housemate David's room and chilled. And then Obama won! That was great! I really enjoy having a president who agrees that rape is rape, that marriage should be equal for all people, and that people who are not rich old straight white cis men are still people!

I don't always agree with Obama's policies, and I wouldn't necessarily be quite so blatant about my political feelings on this blog, but I am INCREDIBLY RELIEVED that he's still in office.



And then on Wednesday, it snowed.

Non-sequitur? It felt that way. I went to work on Wednesday with absolutely no idea that it would start snowing at about 11, 11:30 am and then not stop until it was dark outside. It was BIZARRE. Beautiful and glorious, obviously, but I grew up in DC, where it was odd if we got more than a scattered handful of inches of snow, and those only happened in December and January. Snow at the beginning of November is practically incomprehensible.

Okay, what else? Snow, melting snow, mud... I finished pre-reg, that was fairly uneventful. Went to class, tried to write a section of thesis draft, failed to write a section of thesis draft, made food, ate food, went to Taiko class, cleaned stuff, wasn't nearly productive enough...

Oh! Senior Cock(tail)s was on Friday night! Well, Senior Events, technically, but everyone calls them Senior Cocks. The double entendres are too good to resist.

Because when I say "cock," you think "rooster," right?
This one was themed "The End of the World," which was a silly theme but did mean that someone dressed up with a scythe and other people showed up in gasmasks. I wore a dress, because I had a dress. It was pretty. Anyway, they herded us into buses and transported us down to Toad's in New Haven, where I actually went once for a concert in freshman year. There was an Indian food buffet set up already, and the over-21s got three drink tickets each; I might have actually used more than one if the drinks had been particularly good (or if they hadn't been quite so strong; my Dark and Stormy tasted very little like ginger beer and very much just like rum), but then again, I didn't exactly expect them to be fancy cocktails. So yeah, I had one and then just stuck to water for the rest of the night.

For what it was, it was fun; there was a band and a DJ, and there was dancing, so my friends and I just chilled for a few hours and then hopped on a bus back at around 11 or so. It was odd, though — there are some people I see around campus whom I'm very, very used to seeing in specific contexts, and seeing them here was a tad disconcerting. My taiko TAs, for example — I always just think of them as quasi-authority figures, or at least People Who Know Better Than Me And Have A Lot More Experience, and it was strange remembering that they're, you know, in my year. We're the oldest group on campus.

Ugh, what a terrifying thought.

Anyway! Cocks was fun, we enjoyed ourselves (some of us more than others), and then we hopped on a bus back and... passed out almost as soon as we got back to our rooms. And this was my housemates and I, and all of us were sober. I guess dancing and bus rides just really take it out of us? I do have a few other friends who came back and went out again afterwords, but I have no idea how they worked up the energy.

Next Senior Event is Winter Formal! I'm interested to see how that goes.

Wow, I think those past few paragraphs rambled more than I expected to. Sorry, I'm finishing this at 1:30 am; I'm a little tired.

Anyway, today I haven't done much; I went to a Slavei concert, which was followed by a performance by a singing group from the Republic of Georgia. (The country Georgia.)



And then I came back and got dragged into hanging with friends instead of finishing this, which is why it's 1:30 am and I'm writing the last few paragraphs, and that's about it. Wow, I need to stop talking. I'm cutting myself off. Nothing more has happened in my week! The sentences are stopping!

Instead, I will show you pictures of adorable animals, as promised, as a reward for the fact that you suffered through all this insanity.







So long, ducklings. See you next week.

[Original tags for this post: adorable things because I am boring,cute fluffy things,election things!,politicssenior cocktails/events/whateversnowsnow is so exciting!,warnings for me complaining about silly thingsyes: that is the title of this post. DON’T JUDGE ME.]

No comments:

Post a Comment