Monday, January 20, 2014

Rock You Like A Hurricane [2012/11/03]

[For the record, the title of the post? Yeah, I woke up to that song on Monday morning. Good times.]

I swear, at some point (maybe during finals week or right before my thesis is due, when I'm going crazy but don't feel like making another post entirely in capslock) I'm just going to write a post that's a response to all the spam comments we get on this blog, because some of them are hilarious. I was just clearing out the "pending" section, which ratio-wise is usually about 400 spam comments for every 1 non-spam comment, and I came across this gem:
"thanks to the author representing captivating his clock calculate proceeding this one."
No, Okna pcw drutex. Thank you.

But enough of that, ducklings; I'll save it for a time when I legitimately have no brain power left for anything other than frantically trying to finish work. I figure I'll know that time has come when conversations with my housemates end in anguished screaming, most likely on my part. Till that time, though, I'm still definitely okay enough to tell my loyal readers about my week.

[Under the cut: An anti-climactic unexpected holiday, the return of My Life: Badly Drawn in Photoshop, and a dragon cake. Because I am AWESOME.]

So obviously this past weekend was essentially a countdown to Hurricane Sandy, and because I really felt like procrastinating today, I decided that this would be a great occasion to not only whip out another edition of My Life: Badly Drawn in Photoshop, but also to try out my hand at making gifs.

I grew up in a house where blackouts were the norm, rather than the exception. We've grown to be fairly blasé about them, given that most summers, it's astounding if we DON'T get one every two weeks or so. And so given that at first, most of the talk about Sandy was in terms of whether or not we would black out, I was pretty much like this:

[due to a saving error, this gif will only loop once; if you missed it, you can reload the page and it will go again.]



But then, as my housemates kept freaking out about how debris is the worst killer!! and hurricanes!! and flooding!! and wind damage!! and not going outside!! and stocking up on all necessary items!!, this happened:



So I did a reasonable amount of running around prepping — stocking up on food, doing laundry, etc. Which wasn't a bad thing, since we did end up pretty much just chilling inside the house on Monday and Tuesday — I'm not sure I left the house on either day, honestly; I would have gone to work on Monday if A) the university hadn't been closed and B) my housemate hadn't threatened to tie me up and sit on me — but it ended up feeling a bit anti-climactic, since the storm pretty much skipped Middletown and ended up crushing New York. So I guess it was just anti-climactic for us, really; I just ended up watching in dismay from a distance as my friends in NYC and New Jersey tweeted about losing power and evacuations and power plants blowing up and subway systems flooding. I hope none of you were affected, ducklings.

...I was planning on talking about the delicious food I made on Sunday night, including savory pumpkin-sesame pancakes, but it seems in poor taste, now. Hmm.

Anyway, moving on! School reopened on Wednesday, and so I went off to work and classes and all that normal stuff. I also sort of started pre-reg, I guess. I don't know, it just seems so odd to me, that I'm supposed to be deciding on the classes for my last semester of college. I don't think it's really registered, yet. Of course, it'll have to, since if I want to get into most POI classes I'll have to apply by Monday, but as of yet I'm not really feeling Pre-Reg Prairie Dog-worthy levels of terror and anxiety. I'm going to be taking classes next semester. I'm also going to be writing a thesis next semester. I don't know, we'll see what happens.

I was also going to talk about how I had some miraculous thesis rejuvenation feelings while brushing my teeth on Thursday, but I do actually need to do some work today, and making those gifs took — well, about as much time as I should have expected, but more than I was really planning for — so I'm going to spare you guys my academic trials and tribulations. Although I will say that I am considering getting a twitter and using it to chart my descent into madness throughout the year.

Anyway, the most important part of my week is clearly that on Friday afternoon, I made a dragon cake for Delightful Housemate Kristen's birthday. As in a cake, with a dragon on it. I think it actually looks pretty good, considering I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. (The body of the dragon, for the record, is cake scraps and chocolate ganache; the wings and spine are made of pure chocolate.) And then she and Delightful Housemate David, whose birthday was on Thursday, had a joint costume birthday party, which was also enjoyable, but whatever, the point is that I made a DRAGON CAKE.



And on that note, I'm going to sign off for the week. Farewell, ducklings. Hope all goes well over in your neck, or wing, or gizzard, of the woods.

[Original tags on this post: bakingdelicious foodman I’m tired right nowmy life: badly drawn in photoshopno interesting tags today: my sincere apologiespictures of foodsorry for any lack of coherency in this post]

No comments:

Post a Comment