Monday, January 20, 2014

Dance Like You're In The Kitchen Doing The Dishes [2012/10/19]

Happy Homecoming/Parent's Weekend, ducklings! Or, if you don't celebrate those esoteric holidays, Happy day-that-Brave-is-playing-on-the-film-series! (Alas, I will probably not be able to see it tonight, due to the parental units arriving for the aforementioned Parent's Weekend.) Or, if your life is devoid of joy and you don't like Brave, Happy Friday!

...Look, I'm having a good day today. I am, in fact, enjoying the heck out of this grey, drizzly, reasonably chilly October day. So sue me.

[Under the cut: Food, the end of Fall Break, and more of my incessant good mood.]

First things first: I need to finish my food round-up of Fall Break! I mean, I guess I did other things than eat over Fall Break, but... not really. Well, I painted my sister's nails. And we went on awesome walks around NYC. And I did a tiny bit of homework. Oh! And we watched The Princess and the Goblin, which is one of the movies we were incredibly fond of as children. I'm not sure I would force anyone to watch it if they didn't already count it as one of their formative childhood movies, but we enjoyed ourselves a great deal.



Buuuuut mostly we ate delicious bagels, went to Zabar's, got astonishingly cheap vegetarian dim sum, made snickerdoodles (as Lovely Sister has no baking supplies in her apartment, I mixed up the dry ingredients and brought them in a ziplock bag, because I am an awesome person), ate snickerdoodles, got delicious parmesan truffle fries for an astonishingly cheap price, got roti rolls (essentially Indian burritos — things like mattar paneer and baigan bharta, wrapped in roti) at Bombay Frankie's:



devoured some incredibly delicious flaky pastry things (poppy seed and apple-raisin, in case you were curious) that I wish I knew the name of, from the Hungarian Pastry Shop:



and had some truly spectacular drinks at Slightly Oliver:


No, seriously. Spectacular. I'm actually not entirely sure whether I'm supposed to talk about drinking on this blog or not, but I'm 21 and I appreciate cocktails in pretty much exactly the same way I appreciate food: something to be savored, in which I have basically zero desire to over-indulge. I'm not ashamed of my epicurean tendencies, okay. We should enjoy things that taste good. And let me tell you, these cocktails (only two for each of us — we're broke students, after all) tasted great. As great as everything else we ate this weekend, which is a pretty high bar. (I repeat: parmesan truffle fries.)

...So yeah, I may have left NYC with a little bit less money than I had at the beginning of Fall Break. WORTH IT.

And then, you know, I came back on Tuesday and forgot to take the trash out and did homework and did more homework and slept a little bit but not nearly as much as I did over break, and was unproductive and was a little more productive and then was even more unproductive, and made cheese sauce with greek yogurt and unpacked (mostly) and went to class. Normal stuff.

Today I went to taiko, which was, as always, great but exhausting — seriously, there's a reason I always go to that class in my workout clothes and then shower afterwards; it's like going to the gym but louder. I'm so happy I got in, though; I've been enjoying it immensely, and I like that it's a different type of work than the rest of my schedule. I like having balance. In a past life I was probably a Buddhist or something.

[Side note: at the point of my writing this, I am somehow in the middle of the second conversation I have had in five days about whether or not A Bug's Life is a rip-off of Seven Samurai. I don't know how this happens to me. I don't even have particularly strong feelings about A Bug's Life.]

Then I picked up my iPod, because Lovely Sister helpfully sent it to me after I left it in her room like a moron, and then I went back to my house and had a dance party in the kitchen while doing dishes (because doing dishes and cleaning are way more fun when you have unabashed pop music playing) and eating lunch with my housemate. Then I put apples in the slow cooker to make apple butter, and I made some tea with the apple peels, honey, and cinnamon.

Today is a good day.

I almost feel like I should make a playlist so you can have as good of a day as I am. Here are some of the songs I listened to when I was bouncing around the kitchen:

Carly Rae Jepson - Call Me Maybe

One Direction - Live While We're Young

Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Also: this isn't one of my favorite dance songs, but one of the things I discovered today is that All Star, by Smash Mouth, is even more fun if you try to figure out what other lyrics you can insert into the chorus and still make it rhyme. The two I was able to come up with were "You're a rockstar, get your pants off, get laid," and "You're a spider, get your suit on, save Aunt May."

Alphabeats - 10,000 Nights of Thunder

Cher Lloyd - Want U Back

One Direction - I Want

Olly Murs - Dance With Me Tonight

There should be a word for when all you want out of your life is good food, good drinks, good friends, and impromptu dance parties to ridiculous pop music. It doesn't seem like so much to ask, does it?

[Original tags for this post: adventures of a hedonist epicurean baker who gets bored easilyfall breakFoodI cannot use my ‘look I did things’ tag because I’m not sure it would be accurateI should really start making mixes for this blog,more foodmusic to make you dance like an idiot]

No comments:

Post a Comment