Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Title of this Post is: "The Title of this Post is." [2012/02/12]

You know, it's astounding to me how many of my fellow bloggers also lived/live on Clark 4, aka C4 (everything's more fun with explosive nicknames), aka Writing Hall. (Aka, the only freshman hall on campus where it would not be at all odd to see a group of people clustered around someone's door, writing anagrams on the whiteboard. Yes, that actually happened, and it was awesome. Or rather, I should say, "Io saw me sweat." Or better yet, "A Sam is wet. Woe.")

So take note, prospective students and upcoming freshpeople! Live on Writing Hall; you could become an admissions blogger!

Okay, enough of that. We all know you guys are here to read about my fabulously exciting week. Well, unless you're not. I don't like to judge. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons you guys are here reading this. Maybe you like pictures of adorable animals. Maybe you're here for the comics (in which case, sorry, but that's a no go this week — they actually take a surprising amount of time, and I haven't been able to get my butt in gear for that). Maybe you clicked on the wrong link. Maybe you're a prospective student and your parents are forcing you to read this so you can get a better sense of what the Wesleyan College Experience is all about, but you're just skimming this while they're looking over your shoulder and are planning to click out of the browser pretty much the second they walk away. The possibilities are endless!

(Philosophical side note: I spent some time the other week contemplating the state of being of a blog post that isn't being read. After all, its existence can only be confirmed when somebody pulls it up on a web browser and looks at it... so in the time when nobody is looking at it, can it be said to exist at all? Is it sitting in a box being shredded to pieces by Schrodinger's Cat?)

...So, my week!

[Under the cut: THINGS WOT I HAVE DONE THIS WEEK.]

Hmmm, let's see. Monday and Tuesday were pretty typical — about 6 hours of work on Monday (fun story: I'm technically signed up to work 8 hours a week, but for the past two weeks I've accidentally overtimed myself into an extra hour. I GET CAUGHT UP, OKAY. Plus, it's really hard to stop in the middle of recasing a book just because I'm technically supposed to be leaving). Tuesday I had my three classes, and then went to bellydancing after dinner — I'm still trying to figure out the right balance of how much/how early to eat right before bellydance, because last week? I did not achieve it. I came back to my room and flexed my stomach muscles for Flatmate Katie, and we giggled at the fact that it sounded like somebody poking a Camelbak.

By which I mean, a lot of sloshing.

(I couldn't figure out a way to pictorially represent the sloshing, so this will have to do.)
By the way, I did mention that I have three classes on Tuesdays and four on Thursdays, right? Yeah. Fun stuff. But hey, no classes MWF, so!

Wednesday I discovered that my flatmate had a fever and my neighbor had the gross norovirus thing that's going around, which immediately made my immune system feel terribly threatened. On the plus side, I made onigiri:



Which are Japanese rice balls wrapped in seaweed. Mine were made with brown rice and filled with salmon, and although they were delicious to begin with, they were made even more delicious by the fact that I wasn't sure if they would actually work, considering the fact that I do not actually own brown sushi rice. Brown jasmine? Sure. Brown medium-grain? About seven pounds. But brown sushi rice? Nope, somehow I missed that one.

After I ate my delicious, delicious onigiri, I trotted off to Edwidge Danticat's reading over in Memorial Chapel. It was required for Distinguished Writers, New Voices, the writing class I apparently share with my fellow blogger Anya (seriously, nothing makes you feel like more of a creep than seeing someone walk out of class in flip-flops and thinking, "OH HEY THAT MAKES SENSE BECAUSE I READ THAT POST YOU WROTE ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU LIKE FLIP-FLOPS."), but it was pretty well-attended, and Danticat is a fantastic writer. I read some of her nonfiction pieces about Haiti and her family, and they're packed full of emotion.

Then I came back and made cookies. For snack! (Along with hummus and grapes, which totally count as the healthy portion of the evening.) Because 3-hour classes are always better when you have a snack break in the middle!

Actually, I made the dough on Wednesday, and then rolled them and baked them on Thursday afternoon so they would be fresher (for my night class, Racial Humor), but same difference, right?

For anyone who's interested, they're Mexican hot chocolate cookies, which are basically chocolate cookies with cinnamon, paprika, and cayenne, rolled in cinnamon-paprika-cayenne-sugar. They're not super-spicy, but they have a bit of an after-tingle, and they're DELICIOUS.


Just before baking.

Just after they came out of the oven, but before Flatmate Katie and I tested them for poison. No, wait, that's totally a lie. We didn't even wait for them to cool down before we tested them for poison; we just grabbed one straight off the pan.

Hmm. Thursday's boring, Friday's pretty boring... I did yoga in my room (not ideal; I have neither a mat nor quite enough space), did a ton of homework, and went to see Attack the Block at the film series, which was AWESOME. If you're okay with aliens, violence, and the, "something's coming, something's coming, something's HOLYSHITIT'SRIGHTTHERE" school of scary cinema, and you like intelligence, adrenaline, British accents, and a sense of humor, you should definitely check it out. I think it's one of the movies I've most enjoyed watching so far this year; I'd love to see it again.



Following this, I skyped with a friend of mine who's studying abroad in China this semester, and for whom it was noon on Saturday when for me it was eleven pm on Friday. (Greetings from the fuuuuuture.)

Saturday, I was making brunch when I realized that I should probably do something with the two very, very, very, very ripe bananas we had sitting on the counter — I like my bananas still faintly green around the edges, Flatmate Katie likes hers soft and brown-spotted and particularly banana-y, but the skins of these bananas were actually chocolate-colored — so I whipped up a loaf of whole-wheat-honey-banana bread with pears and walnuts.



There are pears in there because I was eating a pear when I realized I didn't have quite enough banana, so I just cut off some of the non-bitten pieces of pear, chopped them up, and threw them in. GREAT DECISION.

That night I also went to see John Basinger, husband of renowned and revered film professor Jeanine Basinger, perform his adapted version of King Lear at the Oddfellow's Playhouse. Lear is actually one of the murky spots in my fairly extensive Shakespeare education, but it was a fascinating adaptation — Basinger did it as a one-man show where he plays a homeless man (a former actor, the website implies) speaking only King Lear's lines to various discarded objects he casts as the other characters. A chair, a wastebasket and a freestanding pipe play his three daughters, for example.



And, you know, other stuff happened, but it's 11:22 and I passed 1000 words quite some time ago, so... Until next time, when I may even be persuaded to draw you a comic about PANIC! Get excited, people. And scared. Excited and scared. And maybe a little hungry?

[Original tags on this post: anagrams,bellydancingc4,clark hallfilm series,FoodI talk too much,LOOK I DID THINGS,my immune system is still worriedso much delicious food!,the philosophy of the internettheater,Writing Hall]

No comments:

Post a Comment