Saturday, January 18, 2014

Because Moose Make Everything Better [2011/12/27]

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, PEOPLE. Yes, that’s right, I am a proud “happy holidays”-er, because honestly, for me, it is a holiday season. As a somewhat-secular Jew, I do Chanukah; as a not-at-all-Christian-except-for-the-fact-that-I’m-related-to-some, I do Christmas; as a vacation-time-didn’t-sync-up-so-I’m-going-to-visit-other-members-of-my-family-a-few-weeks-from-now, I’m going to be doing a second/pseudo-Christmas in January; as a NELA-hopefully-sort-of-broad-minded-person-who-also-knows-some-religious history, I both recognize that other people are celebrating different holidays/no holiday at all and remember that Christmas was really adapted from solstice/Yule celebrations in order to entice the Pagans to convert; and then of course there’s New Years.

[NELA = New England Liberal Arts schooler. NELAs have their own sensibility, similar to that of other secular liberal arts schools, but with its own particular flavor of disaffected hipster radical. Midwestern liberal arts schools tend to be more on the crunchy granola side.]

And let’s be real here, the mere fact that I’m finished with finals and now have enough free time to watch TV and laze around on the internet all day without worrying about homework is a holiday unto itself.

Granted, it’s only been about a week so far, and as I’m typing this I’m actually in a location with no internet, horror of horrors (although when I post this I will be in a wifi zone once more, obviously), and I haven’t been able to unfurl quite as much as I would have liked (...or post blogs, yes, I know, I'm awful, nobody cares), but that’s okay because I’ve been busy with tasks of AWESOME. And delicious. There was quite a bit of deliciousness.

[Under the cut: Reading week, a comic involving moose, and... somehow I manage to talk a lot while not really saying much else. Fun times!]
Well, okay, we should start two weeks ago, after my last blog post. Since there was, you know, an entire week of finals in between then and now. But! Because a basic recap of the week would pretty much go thusly: “Wrote papers, attended an SUPERSECRETexceptnotatallstealthy improv party for my friend’s birthday, wrote more papers, procrastinated, continued writing papers, FINISHED PAPER!!!, wrote more papers, ate food, took extra notes because my previous notes weren’t good enough, procrastinated, edited paper a little bit, slept, wrote more papers, FINISHED ANOTHER PAPER!!!, sent in first paper, watched movies for academic purposes, took more notes, procrastinated, wrote really ridiculous outlines, wrote final paper, did laundry, wrote final paper, wrote final paper, packed, cleaned room, sent in second paper, wrote final paper, procrastinated, wrote final paper, hung out with friend who is going abroad next semester (ALL OF THE SADFACES), wrote final paper, procrastinated, FINISHED FINAL PAPER!!!!!!!!!!, dragged my impossibly heavy bags to Usdan to catch the shuttle, almost had a heart attack, flew home, collapsed on the couch, sent in final paper”—

Because of all of that, I am instead going to recap the week in terms of my facebook statii, which were actually not as plentiful as they might have been because I didn’t want anyone to realize just quite how much I was procrastinating instead of being productive.

10 December: "...I feel like I forget about eating a surprising amount, considering how obsessed with food I am."

13 December: "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands. They just don't!"
A quote from Legally Blonde, which I was watching for class. (For class. LOVE IT.)

Oh, ok, so I should probably mention: Of the three essays that I wrote for finals, one was about social dynamics on the Metro, one was about commodification practices surrounding television, and one was a comparison of Legally Blonde and Private Benjamin. It's always interesting, writing such disparate papers in such a short amount of time — one paper over the weekend, one paper finished on Tuesday, and one finished on Thursday. The process feels slow when I'm actually writing, spending all day in bed while alternating between procrastination and progress, but almost absurdly rushed when I look back on it later and think, "Holy crap, I just wrote about thirty-seven (hopefully intelligent) pages in a week." And the quick turnover means that I don't really edit much? Which is, uh. Probably not great, but. Hopefully my professors know what they're in for.

14 December: "Okay, someone HAS to come up with a better system for citing things from the internet. Sources from tumblr and youtube comments just look WEIRD when they're in MLA formatting."
Which is totally true, by the way. I mean, it's usually not a problem because we're only supposed to be using reputable sources, but I was looking for people's reactions to things (for the TV paper), thus the tumblr and youtube comments.

It is an interesting world, though, when you can translate "OMG! MY CHEER SQUAD JUST GOT THESE SNEAKERS! I DIDN’T LIKE THEM BUT NOW I DOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” as "However, a few of the comments suggest that some context and sentiment lingers, such as the person who said that they didn’t like the sneakers worn by their cheer squad until finding out that they were the same style used on Glee."
14 December: "SO IF ANYONE WANTS THE MOST AMAZING STUDY BREAK EVER

click the button that says, "I am under 21." Really.

http://blackacrebrewing.com/home/"
...Don't ask. Just click. And if you end up staring at the screen asking yourself, "Why is she so amused by this?" try to think back to a period of your life in which you've been attempting to cram a significant amount of academics into your life, and never underestimate just what a stressed college student will find amazing.
15 December: "I have been reduced to standing in my flatmate's doorway, wearing pajamas and making moose noises at her while she politely tells me to go away. MY LIFE."
Okay, so this one probably requires some explanation. Basically, reading week was a prolonged exercise in me winding myself up tightly and then seeing how long I could go before I twanged like an over-strung violin. I was most of the way through my Legally Blonde/Private Benjamin paper and I was within sight of the end — maybe only two paragraphs or so until the end — when suddenly, my brain stopped. No more words. So I went over to complain to Flatmate Katie, since we'd been helping each other procrastinate at times, and... Well, maybe I should go pictorial on this one, instead. [As ever, I owe a debt to Hyperbole and a Half, the creator of whom is ten times more talented and hilarious than I will ever be.]


Note: This marks the first Badly-Drawn Photoshop Avatar appearance of anyone other than me. (The FK is for Flatmate Katie, in case that didn't translate.) Lovely Sister was somewhat put out, but I'm sure she'll make her way in here eventually.


And now, back to your regularly scheduled blog post.

15 December: "You really have to appreciate any essay that lets you use the phrase, "Elle works within the systems of power in order to force other people to appreciate her and her thorough knowledge of proper hair-care technique."

Oh, and also? DONE. BOOYAH."

"Also, when you can use the sentence, "She is still using the fuzzy pencil at that point, after all," as a valid point about character development."

And then I flew home, blah blah blah, I went home and my sister and I cooked our mom a birthday meal featuring "two loaves of carrot bread, one giant batch of edamame hummus (complete with home-crisped pita chips), one platter of prosciutto and melon, twelve cups of green tea miso soup, fifty shiitake-arugula ravioli, twelve tiny palate cleansers, ten plates of tuna ceviche, and one carrot bread pudding," again quoting from facebook, and this post is looooooooong already so I am going to go before I can ramble any longer!

[Original tags for this post: art stuffcitations!,finalsfooooooood,long post is longmy classes are the best classesmy life through facebook statiimy life: badly drawn in photoshop,reading week is a cruel mistresssuper self-indulgent]

No comments:

Post a Comment