Monday, January 20, 2014

titles are for the weak [2012/10/26]

Happy Halloweekend, ducklings! Well, Halloweekend #1, at least. Given that Halloween is on a Wednesday this year, people seem to be taking the unique opportunity to celebrate on both weekends, at least insofar as I am aware. Or maybe they're just planning stuff for this weekend on the chance that Hurricane Sandy is going to knock out our power on Halloween (again) and that we will once again have the chance to prove over the course of several days that, like celery, Wes students thrive in the dark.

(Yes. Celery.)

Hopefully not, though. The woodframes took almost a week longer to get power than Hi-Rise did last year.

Anyway, ducklings, on to the important stuff! ...Wait, no, sorry, I had this weird momentary delusion that I write about important stuff, instead of food, homework, and how I shaved off part of my eyebrow. What a hilarious idea.

[Under the cut: food, homework, and how I shaved off part of my eyebrow. Yes, really. Also a picture of a puppy, just because.]

...Oh, god, what did I even do this week. Um. Well, this weekend was Parent's Weekend, so I spent a lot of time with my mom and my stepdad, who were up to visit! That was pretty great. We went shopping and ate delicious food, which as you know is like 43% of what I care about in life, and I also made pumpkin apple butter rolls, but not until after they left. SORRY, MOM.

Seriously, though, these things were divine. I used Smitten Kitchen's pumpkin cinnamon rolls recipe, but ditched the glaze, omitted some of the sugar, and used homemade apple butter instead of the cinnamon filling. (As Lovely Sister would say, it was typical Sasha execution. I am... known for adjusting recipes to better suit me, shall we say.) And oh my god, they were amazing. And totally excellent for breakfast, which was great, because at least twice this week I ended up sleeping past my alarm and having to grab food that I could eat while running to class. This is what happens when I get sick: my body decides to yell at me for not sleeping enough, and then forcibly takes all the sleep that it thinks I should be getting.



Besides the pumpkin rolls, I spent a great deal of time trying to finish up a story that was due on Tuesday. You might think that this is because I procrastinated like hell on this story, but you would be wrong. On the contrary, I started working on this story a very, very long time ago. The problem, ducklings, is that the creative arts are a wily and untamed beast, prone to letting you edge your way closer with your hand outstretched, and even possibly allowing you to pet them, before turning and ripping your hand to pieces.

...That metaphor may have gotten away from me there. The point is: I had to rewrite it. A lot. Let's just say that for a while I had more pages of discarded notes, sections, etc., at the bottom of the word doc (what I like to call my "writing graveyard," although some stuff ends up being a zombie/vampire and rising again) than I did of the stuff that I had decided was actually worth keeping.

I think it turned out pretty okay, but I'll have to wait until next week to see what everyone thought. Workshopping makes me nervous. :\

But! I am willing to make a portion of this may-or-may-not-be-a-masterpiece available to you. Because I love you guys just that much.

“I don’t care,” Ariel said, turning a page in her textbook. After a second she turned another, and then flipped back five pages to the beginning of the section.

Alexis rolled her eyes. “Of course you don’t care. That’s why it’s poetic justice.” She leaned back on her elbows, dislodging a notebook and two pencils but not her hair, which had been pinned and twisted and sprayed until it could survive anything prom night had in store. To Alexis’s mind, and her bobby-pin-wielding fingers, this had meant anything from Jamie’s bedroom, to her bedroom with Jamie in it, to either of their bedrooms after a nuclear apocalypse destroyed most of the world.

So far it had survived a car ride and the past seventy-six minutes in the library with aplomb.


Right? Riiiiiight? (You can't tell, ducklings, but I'm smiling at you winningly.)

Anyway, so that and thesis work were... pretty much my week. And then I woke up today, SUPER EXCITED because it's Friday (I may or may not be going to a yoga dance party tonight if I can drag myself out of bed in time), and went to class, ate lunch, cleaned my room and the bathroom (my chore this week), went to the gym (I KNOW, I'M AMAZING), and then shaved a stripe into my eyebrow.

...I was bored.


Before you ask, ducklings, this isn't like that one time that I went a liiiiiiiiittle bit crazy and ended up cutting my bangs in a fit of distracted mania. Not... quite. I'd been thinking about doing this for a really long time, even!

Granted, by "really long time" I mean "approximately three hours or so," but same difference, right? So when my housemates and I were chatting in the hallway, it just seemed very logical to go over to the upstairs bathroom and start carefully cutting away.

IT WAS A TOTALLY LOGICAL AND RATIONAL DECISION, OKAY. Plus now I get to do fun things like draw a different color into the stripe every day.

This one is silver-blue:



Admittedly, about 45 seconds after I finished, I did look in the mirror and go, "...Wait, what?" This is why one day, I'm pretty sure I am going to show up at the door of Delightful Housemate Kristen (my only truly artistically talented housemate), hold out whatever part of my body has been unceremoniously tattooed in the jailhouse style, and say, "FIX IT KRISTEN."

That'll be a fun day for everyone.

I'm pretty excited about the color thing, though, to be honest. And everyone keeps telling me that this is the last year I'll really get to do ridiculous things with my hair and face before I have to go get a job and pretend to be respectable, so. Whoo?

HERE, HAVE A WET PUPPY.



[Original tags for this post: academia is whackademia,adorable things because I am boring,cute fluffy things,fiction classFood,homework stuffmy continuing adventures in just-short-of-sanity,pictures of food]

No comments:

Post a Comment