Sunday, January 19, 2014

I'm Late! I'm Late! for a Very Important... Blog? [2012/02/27]

Because I am, at heart, a massive flake, I forgot to post this blog entry yesterday. I really need to go back to posting these on Saturdays; I'm so much more forgiving of myself if my late post is on a Sunday, rather than on a Monday, when the new week has already started to kick off.

It's funny, actually; even back in high school, I still felt like the week started on Sundays, calendar-wise. Now, though, Monday is definitely the start of the week, and Sunday is the catch-up day at the very end. Although this weekend I really should have done a little more catching-up and a little less Parks And Recreation-watching, seeing as I have a presentation, a response paper, and a test this week. Amy Poehler and her cast of lovable misfits can wait.

[Under the cut: Me attempting desperately to remember my week, along with brief ramble about social-ness, Mao: the Musical, and small fluffy animals.]

So, what was on the menu last week?

...Crud, what did I do last week? It seems like so long ago. Okay, let's work logically. Monday I must have gone to work; Tuesday was classes and bellydance, which this week was thankfully not interrupted by any room request mix-ups; Wednesday was work and a meeting with a professor to go over last week's presentation. I have no idea what I did on Wednesday afternoon/evening. Is that worrying? Should I be concerned?

I'm going to assume I did homework and went on the internet, which, considering my life, has probably a 77% chance of accuracy.

On Thursday I had all four classes, as usual, and a presentation in my three-house seminar on this book called Black No More, which is a really funny satire written in the 1930s about what would happen if somebody invented a machine that could turn black people white. (This week we're watching Margaret Cho and "Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle"; for some reason I keep on taking classes where half of the material is kind of silly stuff, but the class is actually ridiculously intimidating and the professor is terrifyingly smart. It's great, in a stressful sort of way.)

Following that class, I invaded the room of a friend I haven't seen in approximately 2 weeks, despite the fact that she lives across the hall (yes, I know, it's absurd), and then stayed for 2 hours. That was awesome.

It's interesting, the way your social life changes depending on what year you are and where you live. Back when I lived in Clark, I feel like I did so many more things as part of a massive group — meals, hanging out, whatever. This is partially because I lived on a hall with most of my friends, partially because we went to Usdan for almost every meal, and I suspect partially because we were freshmen. I don't know why it is, but I feel like a lot of the giant groups I've seen (especially in Usdan) tend to be freshmen; maybe it's because it's your first year and you're all still in the first flush of being friends. I have no idea.

Sophomore year I lived in a smaller place (Writing House), so I ran into fewer people on a daily basis, but still a lot more than I do now, since there was that giant common space that we were all constantly in and out of. (Hallways and elevators? Not the same. Hirise does have a lounge, but it's set a little back, so I don't ever pass through it.) Plus, back then I was still on a meal+points plan, so I was still eating at Usdan. It's amazing how much that sort of thing can matter; I'm entirely on points and I eat a ton of my meals at home now (I actually made myself some salmon-seaweed-brown rice-other vegetables soup just now, which was delicious but set me back in my homework time by quite a bit), so I don't have that, "Okay, you'll see people at noon and 6:30" guarantee. Now meals and meet-ups have to be planned a little further in advance.

Even so, back in sophomore year that giant group had started to crack in certain places, people dividing themselves up by inclination and personality and, occasionally, convenience.

Granted, I also may just be feeling a little lonely because approximately a quarter of the friends that I regularly spent time with last semester have vanished off to foreign places. Am I continually complaining about this? I feel like I mention it a lot.

Well, whatever. On Friday I ran a few errands and almost went to Alpha Delt's Librarians and Barbarians bash, but it was raining, so instead my former roommate came over and we did homework and chilled together. At 11 at night. My friends and I are cool people, you guys.

Oh! I also made this poster:



One of the members of TypeClub is playing a show this weekend, and so the TC leaders asked the TC designers to make sample posters, so they could see where we're at. Granted, I'm not sure anybody else actually made one besides me, but whatever. I kind of like it.

Saturday I went to brunch at Weswings with the aforementioned former roommate, following which I went to a TypeClub meeting. After that, though, it was time for Mao: The Musical!



M:tM is the thesis project of someone I sort of know, and a few of my friends were in it, and it's kind of hilarious. (Purposefully, even!) I mean, yes, the plot is about this woman Mei being in love with Dude A, who goes off to fight for the revolution and never comes back, which means that Mei has to marry Dude B and raise her kid, who is actually biologically Dude A's son, because he irresponsibly knocked her up before swanning off to go fight for a better future like an optimist who doesn't understand the demands of genre — (seriously, she mentioned that she was pregnant and I leaned over to my friend and whispered, "Oh, he's totally going to die") — which is apparently okay for a while, except as Mao starts accumulating more and more power, Mei starts having more and more of a mental breakdown.

And that's really depressing and everything, but the play also has Mao making his entrance by bursting through a fake brick wall, and features a chorus of four people who regularly sing, "Mao, Mao, Mao, Mao, Mao, Mao, Mao, Mao, Mao, Mao, Mao, Mao, Mao," in harmony, and that makes it sort of hard not to giggle.

Aaaaaand then I went back to my apartment and watched Parks and Recreation. My life, it is the most exciting.

Of course, we all know that when my life gets boring, it's time to pull out the pictures of small fluffy animals so that we can end on a high note!



LOOK AT THE BUNNIES LOOK AT THE BUNNIES AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

[Original tags for this post: adorable things because I am boring,cute fluffy things,design stufffriendsI fail at recappingI have the memory of a goldfishoft-pointless rambling,theaterthings that I dototally self-indulgentwho doesn’t love musicals about social upheaval in 20th century China?]

No comments:

Post a Comment