Monday, January 20, 2014

SNOW. (I need sleep.) [2013/02/09]

Ducklings! Currently there is a wall of snow outside my back door. A wall. When you open the door there's at least four inches stacked up above the sill. Bear in mind that to get to my back door you have to CLIMB UP STAIRS. Our porch is also completely covered in snow, you can barely see my housemates' cars, we might have to sled down the stairs if we want to go outside, the street is no longer distinguishable from the sidewalk, and I have apple chips in the oven.

...What? It matters to me, okay.

So anyway, snow has occurred! My housemate is currently trying to convince me that going outside is a good idea. I am uncertain about her correctness.

Three hours later: I have changed my mind! Housemate Katie was correct. The snow was ridiculously deep (for the record, there's now a foot stacked up above the ledge on the back door and my housemates' cars are completely covered in snow), but some friends of ours were having a party and for some reason I thought being social might be sort of okay, so we and Previously Mentioned Housemate Natalia blazed our own trail through the snowy wilderness of Brainerd, which has not been plowed! At all! AT ALL. On our way back, I fell in the snow twice and looked like the abominable snowman, it was great. Plus I made a snow angel! Everything was fantastic.

[Under the cut: Words. (Look, it is 2:40 am and I am tired. I just want to write this and go to sleep and then wake up and make pancakes or something.)]

SO WHAT ELSE. Um, I guess week recap? Well, basically what happened was that I went to Alien last Friday on the film series:



which freaked me out quite a bit but not nearly as much as I had thought it would! It didn't, for example, leave me curled up in the fetal position and shaking like Cabin in the Woods did; instead I just shrank down in my seat and watched bits of it through my fingers and/or my scarf.

...Horror movies and I are not meant for each other. On the other hand, the effects were ameliorated slightly by one of my friends sitting next to me watching the screen raptly and occasionally reverently whispering, "It's perfeeeeeeeect," so.

Then the next night I went to see the One Day Plays, which is the 24 Hour Plays except without the copyright on the name "24 Hour Plays." Essentially what happens is that several short plays get written and performed in the space of 24 hours, which leaves everyone involved a bit nutty afterwards and frequently turns out some very funny, very bizarre plays. This year did not disappoint, and actually was probably more consistently good than some other semesters I've been to — there's actually a good write-up in the Argus, if you're interested.



What else? Well, I spent some time worrying about Drop/Add, and then I spent some time not worrying about Drop/Add, and then I spent some time worrying about my thesis, and then I spent more time worrying about my thesis, and then I made gingerbread. It was delicious.

Man, I'm so tired right now. This is what I get for being stubborn and trying to finish this at 3 AM. I just feel bad because I cheated last week and then didn't write another post last Saturday, so I want to make up for it now. Also, I want to be able to wake up tomorrow and feel like I was at least a little productive today, since heaven knows I haven't been productive this week. Well, I was productive in that I went to classes. I'm in Intro Dance (fun, even if we spend an awful lot of time rolling on the ground), Skating (fun, even if it is at 9 am), a student forum about birdwatching (fun, even if I worry it's going to be taking up thesis-time), and Intermediate Taiko (THE BEST THING EVER OH MY GOD SO GOOD SO GOOD EVERYTHING ABOUT IT IS AMAZING I AM SO HAPPY WITH MY ENTIRE LIFE AHHHHHHHHH). I guess I was also productive in that I... rewrote my resume and wrote a cover letter for a job? I don't know. I finished writing a very long section on Sunday and then for the rest of this week I sort of just did... other things. I wrote a paper for dance. Stuff happened. I don't know.



That's winter storm Nemo, for the record. I took some photos with my new camera, but it takes longer to transfer things from my camera to my computer than it did when I was just taking shitty pictures with my cellphone and texting them to my email address, so I can't provide them for you right now. I also took photos of the gingerbread cookies I made, but they're pretty much in the same metaphorical boat. Which is a pity, because they look GREAT; the latest batch actually spells out "I <3 data-blogger-escaped-a="" data-blogger-escaped-and="" data-blogger-escaped-because="" data-blogger-escaped-being="" data-blogger-escaped-br="" data-blogger-escaped-friends.="" data-blogger-escaped-housemates="" data-blogger-escaped-hug="" data-blogger-escaped-i="" data-blogger-escaped-laugh="" data-blogger-escaped-letting="" data-blogger-escaped-like="" data-blogger-escaped-little="" data-blogger-escaped-made="" data-blogger-escaped-making="" data-blogger-escaped-me="" data-blogger-escaped-my="" data-blogger-escaped-night="" data-blogger-escaped-on="" data-blogger-escaped-out="" data-blogger-escaped-so.="" data-blogger-escaped-stressing="" data-blogger-escaped-super-sweet="" data-blogger-escaped-them="" data-blogger-escaped-thursday="" data-blogger-escaped-was="" data-blogger-escaped-were="" data-blogger-escaped-when="">
Man, this post has been all over the place. I apologise. I'm going to go sleep now, but before I do, in exchange for you making your way through all this: PICTURE OF A PANDA HAT. A PANDA. AS A HAT.



[Original tags on this post: adorable things because I am boring,ALL OF THE SNOW TAGScute fluffy thingsEpic snow stormmore snow?,snowsnow is so exciting!snow storm,snowpocalypseSO TIRED THOUGH]

No comments:

Post a Comment