Tuesday, January 21, 2014

We're All Mad Here [2013/05/18]

Oh ducklings. I keep trying to write these posts at a time that isn't the middle of the night, and then somehow time sneaks up on me and boom, it's 2 am and I'm thinking, "Hey, you know what I should do? Write a blog post."

As I write this, I've actually just gotten back from a joint bachelor/bachelorette party for my friends who are getting married in June. Quite honestly, I'm not sure whether I'm more amused that they're getting married in June or that they actually had a joint bachelor/bachelorette party. I mean, isn't the point of those supposed to be that the bride- and groom-to-be are separate for the evening?

I can't lie, the fact that I know 21- and 22-year-olds who are engaged and getting married (these two are among a few Wes couples in my graduating class who are getting married this summer, and a few of the kids I knew in high school are not engaged, which is hilarious to me because I knew them when they were titchy and unattractive thirteen-year-olds) is still sort of wiggly-weird, no matter how long I've had to get used to it. Not because of the couple, just because — well, marriage. That's growing up, isn't it? Marriage is essentially the legal way of saying, "I am going to be stepping into the future hand-in-hand with this person."

Commitment is a weird thing. I had a hard enough time just deciding what college to go to for four years. Actually, sometimes I have a hard time just deciding what I'm going to eat for dinner.

[Under the Cut: Thesis films, Hamlet in Wonderland, and... I don't know, stuff?]

Where did I leave you last week, ducklings? I believe just before Spring Fling — which I went to, by the way, for a brief period of time. It was fun, even if it did have to take place in the Spurrier-Snyder Ice Rink of Bad Acoustics. And then, on Friday and Saturday, I went to see the 16mm and digital senior thesis films!



Four of my friends did theses films, and they were all brilliant, of course (remember what I said in my last post about only being friends with talented people?) — one of them had some technical difficulties brought on by the fact that trying to make an animated film in the space of less than a year with only two full-time animators is actually impossible (I'm not overstating the case because I like these people; it is a very difficult thing) but on the other hand it has like three lines of dialogue and some heavy breathing from me playing a twelve-year-old bully, so there's that, I guess?

Overall, though, I was really impressed by most of the films. You can watch the trailer for all the films HERE, and one of the digital films (Sam Barth's "Dial-Up") is already up online. Hopefully some of the other ones will get online at some point, because I'd love to watch them again without paying $5 each night when they show again during Commencement. (Plus, as good as I thought most of the films were — I don't need to see the entire line-up again.)

So that was Friday and Saturday, and then on Sunday I was super-determined to see #tag Hamlet in Wonderland, even though the people who had seemed interested in going with me all bailed at the last minute. But never mind! I persevered, and I went alone and felt awkward at first and then stopped caring because HELLO, how did I never realise before that what I needed in my life was an immersive theater production in the Russell House garden where Ophelia was also Alice and Hamlet was also the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat was the King's Ghost and different scenes happen out of order and simultaneously and there's a swordfight involving umbrellas and also the idea that "we're all mad here" translates surprisingly well to Hamlet? Look, it definitely wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea (ha, mad tea party joke!), but it was right up my alley — so much so that after the 8 pm show was over, I ran all the way back across campus to grab a warmer sweater from my house, and promptly went to the 9:30 show.



Oh! and earlier in the evening I went to like fifteen minutes of an Ono concert (Onomatopoeia, one of Wes's all-female a capella groups and the only one to feature the divine singing and beatboxing talents of my former roommate and currently nail-painting-partner-in-crime Joey), but I had to leave early to make it to a dinner, unfortunately. And then, you know, Shakespeare. I have a lot of Shakespeare feelings.

What else? Well, I finished watching Slings & Arrows, which is a Canadian show that I absolutely did not start watching while still writing my thesis, because clearly that would have been a silly idea and completely counter-productive. Obviously I wouldn't do something like that.



For the record, if you do happen to have Shakespeare/theater feelings, I highly recommend watching Slings & Arrows. It's all about Shakespeare and the love of theater and actors/directors being overdramatic and ghosts (actual ghosts) and the things that you have to confront and all sorts of other great things, and it's dramatic and poignant and thoughtful and also hilarious. And short! (Three seasons, six episodes each!) And on Netflix! I got one of my other friends addicted to it after spring break and we've spent a lot of time yelling at each other about how great it is!

Besides that I've been going to work, spending time on the Hill, and trying to use up my points before our meal plans expire. Which has been, you know, interesting.

Oh, and I went to see the new Star Trek movie on Thursday! But that's been about it for the week, really. Well, except for this bachelor/bachelorette party, that is, and even that wasn't terribly eventful. My engaged friends are fairly laidback and not particularly big on partying, so it ended up being more like, "Let's hang out in [the house of friends of ours who host a fair number of get-togethers] and listen to music and chat" than any stereotypically raucous affair. Pretty par for the course for my group of friends.

Except for the strippers, at least, but to be fair they weren't proper strippers, they were friends who volunteered to do a goofy dance and take off their dresses. I know some very interesting people.

I'm going to sign off now and get some sleep so I'm not too tired for my very last Usdan brunch tomorrow. Much love, ducklings.

[Original tags on this post: no but for real though Hamlet in Wonderland was GREAT and I loved itSecond Stage,second stage is the best stagesenior thesestheater,thesis filmsTV]

No comments:

Post a Comment