Monday, January 20, 2014

Shock, Horror, Calamity, Etc. [2012/10/06]

I know what you're thinking: "Two posts in one week? Sasha, what are you doing? What's going on? THIS IS AGAINST THE NORMAL ORDER OF THE UNIVERSE."

Or maybe you're thinking, "...Wait, you posted twice in one week? You post at all? You write for this blog? Who are you???"

Or, possibly, you're thinking, "I should really go check my mail right now."

Or, even more possibly, you're sort of skimming this while you watch videos of adorable panda on Youtube and thus aren't really thinking very much at all. That's cool, I don't judge. Pandas are great.

(At this point, you might be thinking, "...Sasha, you've already spent more than 100 words trying to be telepathic. Get on with it already." Just for you, dear reader, I will indeed get on with it... under the cut.)

So anyway, I'm going to start trying to blog on Fridays now because last week's post (the one that I, you know, posted at the beginning of this week) was so late. Yeah, I know, that so wasn't worth the 170 words of build-up. Moving on!

Possibly the most exciting thing I did this week was go to see "Shel's Shorts," the Second Stage show that's up this weekend, which is a bunch of darkly funny short plays written by Shel Silverstein. (Shel Silverstein is known as a children's poet. These plays are not for children.)



I have one thing to say about "Shel's Shorts," and that is this: if you are in the vicinity of Wesleyan on Saturday, then GO GO GO GO GET YOURSELF A TICKET GET A TICKET FOR A FRIEND DO NOT DELAY THEY WILL SELL OUT QUICKLY GO GO GO GO DO NOT STOP DO NOT PASS GO DO NOT COLLECT TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS IF THIS IS A THING THAT YOU CAN POSSIBLY DO THEN IT IS A THING THAT YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST DO.

Let's see, other exciting things: well, tonight I went to see Jurassic Park for the first time! It was playing at the film series, and friends of mine have spoken of it highly, so I figured I might as well check it out. And lo and behold, I enjoyed it greatly! In this case, of course enjoying it greatly includes the fact that for a certain portion of the movie, I was half in the lap of Housemate Katie as we shrieked in unison at the velociraptors. (Literally half in her lap. My butt was on my seat, but my legs were across her thighs as we clutched at each other's arms. And you know what? I stand by this decision. Actually, I really wish I had a comic of it to show you guys, but I'm very tired right now and don't feel like making one, so all I have for you is a picture of the poster:)



Then I went to a Jurassic Park afterparty. There was a guy there in a dinosaur costume that I'm pretty sure was really a dragon costume. That happened. Other than that, and homework, the only thing I've done much of in the, oh, four days since my last post is... well, watch Dragnet.



For the uninitiated, Dragnet is a cop show from the 1950s and 60s, based on a radio show from slightly earlier. It stars Sergeant Joe Friday. He carries a badge. (That is actually a thing that they say in the opening voiceovers, yes.)

Have I mentioned my thesis yet? I don't know if I've mentioned my thesis topic yet. I'm writing an anthropology thesis about the depiction of platonic same-sex friendship in cop shows, for which I will be watching Dragnet, Hawaii Five-O, Starsky and Hutch, Miami Vice, NYPD Blue, White Collar, Hawaii Five-0 (remake), and Sherlock. Also Cagney and Lacey and Rizzoli and Isles, if all goes well. I'm really excited about it, it just takes up a lot of time, that's all.

God, I'm tired. I had such plans to finish this early today (Friday), and now it's 3am on Saturday morning because instead of managing to finish this up in the afternoon, I procrastinated, cleaned, showered, spent half an hour doing my hair just for kicks, and then cooked dinner. My life is a world of good decisions.

Oh, hey, I forgot to mention that I got a thesis carrel! EXCITING STUFF. It is miniature and sort of cramped, but I think I am going to really appreciate having a place to do work that isn't my bedroom.



Man, I think this is my shortest post in a while. Maybe that's a good thing? Unless you actually enjoy my absurd ramblings, in which case, I'm sorry, ducklings. Better luck next week. I'm going to go sleep now so that I can get up for brunch tomorrow morning instead of moaning at my alarm and going back to sleep. Night!

[Original tags for this post: academia is whackademiafilm seriesSecond Stagethis post will not have interesting tagswhy do I do these things to myself]

No comments:

Post a Comment