Saturday, January 18, 2014

Tardiness is Next to Godliness? [2011/11/13]

I'm late, I'm late, for a very important... blog post. Or something. White rabbits aside, I was at brunch today when I blinked and realized, "Wait. Did I really not update yesterday? Frig!" And then my friends laughed at me, which they often do. Most of the people in my life laugh at me; it's kind of my curse.

I have no idea why I forgot yesterday; I think I just had a 24-hour allergy to doing anything at all productive. I tried desperately to finish writing a paper, and yet I'm not even halfway through. (It's a three-page paper, too. About the design of the TV industry. This should really not have been quite so difficult.) I do have an awful lot of notes, though — at least twice the length of what the paper itself is supposed to be — so at least there's that.

My week, hmm... Well, we might as well take what little of it there is beneath the cut.
Assuming that my life was at all interesting this week would be something of a fallacy. There was prereg, but I'm a little grumpy about it, and I feel like I shouldn't really post when I'm grumpy about something. I've seen The Social Network, okay. Grumpy blogging never gets you anywhere. (Grumpy drunk blogging, in Mark Zuckerberg's case.) Well, technically I suppose one could say that it gets you a networking website/company valued at billions of dollars, but let's be real. I am not Mark Zuckerberg. I am not a computer genius. Grumpy blogging is only going to result in people thinking I'm a jerk.

Which, to be fair, pretty much happened for MZ too, but he can still go swimming in his piles of money to cheer himself up.

The funny thing about having had this blog since last spring is that every time I think, "I totally wasn't this stressed about pre-reg last year," I get to go look at the archives and realize, "OH WAIT THAT'S TOTALLY NOT TRUE." The Pre-Reg prairie dog is there to prove me wrong.

Another one, just to keep up the tradition:

Other than that and my total lack of productivity... Not much. I was sick on Tuesday, and we watched Thelma and Louise in class on Wednesday, which I had never seen before. It was pretty entertaining, I'm not going to lie. Of course, I'm still waiting desperately to hear what my incredibly, terrifyingly brilliant professor thinks of the paper I turned in on Monday, but I can be patient. Really patient. Super patient.

I also have to finish up a paper for Theory One, and finish writing a story for Techniques of Fiction. Which is unfortunate, because I'm feeling a little burned out right not, academics-wise. All I want to do is just lie around and cook and watch TV, okay. Is that so wrong?

THIS COULD BE ME. Except taller and, you know, older. And female. Etc.
Speaking of cooking, I discovered this week that roasted beets taste fantastic with goat cheese, pistachios and balsamic vinegar, and I also made some lovely eggplant with miso and sesame. Good times.

OH. And the three best parts of my week, clearly — in class on Thursday, one of the senior American Studies majors was talking about his thesis, which is about the history of the martini and was also SUPER-INTERESTING. I could listen to people talking about historical changes in food and beverages all day long. That presentation definitely marked the turning point in my week, from dreary to mostly awesome.

Second, on Friday I went to see the Second Stage production of As You Like It, which was awesome. I'm usually a little wary of college productions of Shakespeare plays, but this was really well done. A lot of the main actors were really good at not only getting across the sentiment of their lines, but also the lovely Shakespearean phrasing of the lines themselves, which I think is a really important component to putting on Shakespeare. Sentiment is obviously important, but Shakespeare was a clever writer. I like being able to appreciate that.

Plus, As You Like It is a lot funnier to me now than I remember it being the last time I saw it, which was maybe ten years ago. Sure, there's a total deus ex machina at the end, but I like to think that the entire first act was just Shakespeare going, "How can I get these crazy kids into the forest so I can have wacky cross-dressing shenanigans and also spend the entire second act making fun of people who are in love?" I could spend forever listening to Shakespeare make fun of people who are in love.



Third, but definitely not least, my lovely across-the-hall neighbors (whom you may remember from my blackout saga) had a combined birthday party last night, of which there's not really much to describe — it was a party, we all hung out and chatted until late in the night — but to say that a good time was had by all.

Which pretty much caps off my week right there. Here, have two pictures I discovered this week of a baby turtle conquering a strawberry, with a little help from his friend:



[Original tags for this post: adorable things because I am boring,BirthdayFood,friendsI am a failure at productivityI talk too muchPlayspre-regsecond stage is the best stageyay schoolwork!]

No comments:

Post a Comment