Saturday, January 18, 2014

Insanity, Thy Name is Reading Week [2011/12/11]

I've been researching for a paper since 2 pm today (with the occasional break for internet-style procrastination; for the record, as I type this sentence it is 11:49 pm) and my eyes are threatening to give out on me if I read another academic article, so it's clearly a good time to stop and blog for a bit. Following this post, I will either go back to taking notes, or I'll just throw my hands up in the air and go watch an episode of Community. (Better than six seasons and a movie: TWELVE SEASONS AND A THEME PARK.) Or the Big Bang Theory, which I've recently started to watch on the basis of many, many recommendations, or — no, I'm going to stop myself here, or I'm going to start listing all the shows I need to watch/finish over Winter Break, and that is really just not going to be interesting to anyone but me and the TV networks.

(Seriously, though. Save Community.)

Or, you know, there's always that silly option of "sleep," although whoever came up with that one clearly needs to do a little more market research into the habits of overstressed college students. Granted, I did get approximately seven hours of sleep last night, which would probably be more impressive if those seven hours hadn't taken place between 4:30 am and 11:30 am. Still, we do what we can, right?

And what I did was finish a paper, so I'm not going to pretend that one wasn't a complete and utter triumph. BOOYAH. One down, two to go. (The final portfolio for my fiction class was due before classes ended.)

[Under the Cut: The curious ironies of eating habits and reasons why my procrastination is totally not my fault]


I almost forgot to eat dinner today. Well, no. There was no forgetting involved, really. It's just that I kept on telling myself, "Oh, I'll put my eggplant in the oven in just a minute, let me just read another of the articles that I've bookmarked," and then all of a sudden it was 8:15 and I figured that the persistent rumbling in my stomach was in fact hunger and not some incredibly localised earthquake. At which point it would clearly take too long to roast eggplant, so I just dumped some soup in a pot, heated it up on the stove (...still no microwave. It'll happen! I'm stealing my friend's spare eventually!), and went at it. Following which, I — you guessed it — read another article.

I have approximately 14 pages of notes for a 7-10 page paper. Sadly, I'm pretty sure 9 pages of those notes are going to be almost completely useless, but it's the last 5 that really count.

On a side note, if anyone has any feelings about television merchandise/commodification and wants to drop a comment down below, that would be just fine.

I also did NOT go to the Rocky Horror Picture Show, continuing a streak I've held since freshman year. One semester I will see how it's done at Wes. This is just... not that semester. Although I keep my gold lamé leopard-print dress ready and waiting.



For all you non-Wes kids, it's apparently a Wes tradition to screen and shadow cast Rocky Horror on the night where the last day of classes becomes the first day of finals. Because what better time to watch a genderbending cult musical classic than when you're on the precipice of having your brain explode inside the prison of your head so that were your skull to turn translucent, it would look like a snowglobe filled with grey matter?



Okay, that was unnecessarily gross. I apologize. Besides, it feels a little more like your higher brain functions have melted and gotten caught in a tornado, anyway.

Whee, finals!

I feel that now is probably the time where I should mention that I do actually like both the topics of my papers and the classes I'm writing them for. And anyway, if I weren't stressed, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I don't think I would be able to find the motivation to get out of bed in the mornings.

"But Sasha," you may be saying to yourself, as you either wince in empathy or chuckle in the self-satisfied knowledge that you yourself do not have to experience the special sleep-deprived hell that is finals, "why are you complaining about this already? It's only Saturday! Classes only ended yesterday!"

To which I would respond: "A) technically classes ended for me on Thursday, nyah nyah nyah, B) the first flush of finals week has to be fairly frenzied (nice alliteration, me) so that you can get all your research done, which will then allow you to spend the optimal amount of time freaking out about writing the papers themselves, and C) my powers of both complaining and stressing are such that I can wield them both at a moment's notice. Fear me."

You might say in turn: "Well, then if you're so stressed, why do you keep on procrastinating?"

And I would then say: "Okay, when you're writing a paper about TV, advertising, merchandise, and commodification, some of your sources are going to involve videos on youtube, and sometimes those videos will lead you to even more videos which are even more tenuously related to your topic, and IT'S NOT MY FAULT OKAY."

Which is, you know, true. Totally, totally true. But if pressed more, I would probably add, "Because procrastinating makes me more stressed, and I am a masochist."

Which is also somewhat true, although I like to think that I have a little more self-preservation than to indulge in masochism during finals. There is also this: "Because we all need to take momentary breaks from the herculean task of trying to temporarily rearrange our brains to fit in all these new thoughts and scraps of information so that we can then stretch and expand and snap them into a cohesive argument in the hopes that we can pretend for 8-12 (or 15-20) pages that we're not useless human beings.

Huh. Now that I've described it that way, I'm actually really enjoying the thought of my brain as resembling a Klein bottle for the rest of Reading Week, its inside also its outside which is also its inside...





Oh, geometrical curiosities. How you occasionally make me wish that I had become a math major after all. And then I remember that I would be studying for exams right now and realise that I'm probably better off far, far away from that.

Side note: Flatmate Katie just came in, looked at me, and said, "Go to sleep."

"I'm not that bad," I protested, to which she just laughed. And laughed. And laughed more, which I guess means it's time for me to stop editing this and actually get some rest. But before I go...

I've been including a lot of adorable animals in my recent posts, and I don't see any reason to buck that trend right now, so here, have a picture of what I would look like right now if I were a kitten hiding under a bunch of newspaper:



Until next weekend, when I will be hoooome and fully ready to enjoy Winter Break!

[Original tags for this postadorable things because I am boring,awesome geometry,Classes,conversations with myselfcute fluffy thingseating is good for you!finals,oft-pointless ramblingrocky horrorsave communitysleep is also good!STRESS IS MY CAFFEINE in that it keeps me working until all hours of the night and is also not super healthy in large dosesteeny tiny bits of insanitywow these tags are going to be really really long I should probably stop now]

No comments:

Post a Comment