Monday, January 20, 2014

Bad Omens? [2012/09/15]

Hello, ducklings!

...Yes, I'm late. Whoops. I meant to write up a post two weeks ago, really I did! It was going to feature another "what I did over my summer vacation" comic*, and it was going to reassure regular readers that my brain did not actually explode after my last post**, and basically it was going to be REALLY REALLY GREAT and then I got distracted and didn't write it. This would not seem to be a great omen for the beginning of senior year as a whole. Oh well?

*Fun fact: if you're new to this blog/my life/etc. and feel like delving into the haze of absurdity that is my previous entries, you can find them all here, here, or just by clicking the "alamb" link at the top of this post or the "Sasha Lamb '13" button under "Categories." If you want a few highlights, I believe I can confidently say that the best things about my blog are the pictures of adorable animals [which are all tagged under adorable things because I am boring and/or cute fluffy things] and the fact that I can occasionally be persuaded to use photoshop to create very badly-drawn comics about mundane incidents in my life. Wait, when I put it that way, it doesn't sound nearly as appealing... If you're curious, though, my three favorite can be found here: one, two, three.

**I went a little insane in my last post. Or, um. A lot insane. But I'm totally better now! Life is great, man. No capslock necessary.***

***If you've gotten through all of these footnotes, then you may want to continue moving on to the rest of the post, which can be found under the cut:

So anyway, ducklings, if you didn't know — aka, if you are amount the 3% of my readership not comprised of my family members — I have just entered my senior year at Wesleyan! Not only that, but I am living in a senior house, almost like I'm a proper adult and everything.



Of course, being in a house means that I am going to have to refer to Flatmate Katie, my Delightful Neighbors (including Delightful Neighbor Kristen; David didn't get an individual name because he deserted us for England in second semester) and As-Yet-Unmentioned Natalia (who deserted us for China in second semester) as Housemates now. Housemate Katie, Delightful Housemate Kristen... That's going to take some getting used to.

Plus, I am writing a thesis! Probably. Hopefully. Actually, you know what, let's just skim over talking about that for now.

Let's see, what else? Well, this summer I interned at a company called Ventana:



It was pretty cool! I did things! I learned some stuff about cameras and the way film shoots work and what it's like to sit around on your laptop until you're needed! Seriously, though, it was an interesting way to pass the summer; I'll talk about it more next week, if I manage to finally finish up my What I Did Over My Summer Vacation comics. (Also I taught myself how to use Final Cut on a very, very basic level! That was great. I am apparently the type of person who enjoys sitting around in dark rooms being an aesthetic perfectionist, which surprises me not at all.)

Meanwhile, I've spent the past two weeks unpacking (I have a pretty room! It is full of things! How do I own so much stuff??) and figuring out my final schedule for the semester, to wit: Intermediate Fiction Workshop (for which I should really be doing homework right now but am instead writing this for you; feel flattered, ducklings); Beginning Taiko (going to KILL ME with how intensely physical it is, but about which I am also really excited); Cultural Analysis (the Anthro thesis/senior essay seminar); and TA-ing for Commodity Consumption and the Formation of Consumer Culture (it's a mouthful, but it's a fantastic class; I'm really pleased to get to listen to this stuff all over again and get new insights. I just hope I can be helpful to the other students).

What else? Well, last week I turned 21 and had probably the most laid-back birthday party known to any 21-year-old, ever, seeing as we went to see Avengers at the film series and then went back to my place afterwards and ate cake. Right up my alley, basically; I'm a huge fan of cake.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="500"]Like this, basically, but with cake.[/caption]

And tonight I'm going to go see the 24-hour Play Festival, aka what happens when you shove a bunch of writers in a room at night, give them until 5 am to each write a one-act play, and then let them go sleep while a bunch of directors and actors take those fatigue-addled pieces of theatre and try to memorize them in a few hours before performing them at 8 pm. After that everybody dies of exhaustion.

A few years ago Second Stage made a video about this process, which can be found here: 24hourplay

I find that in general, 24-hour plays can be very hit or miss, which is unsurprising when you remember that they're written in an almost negligible amount of time, but they're fun to watch and As-Yet-Unmentioned Housemate Natalia is going to be in one, so! It is clearly my housemate-ly duty to attend and cheer obnoxiously for her.

Alright, I really do need to get some writing done for Intermediate Fiction before I go see the show, so... Adieu, ducklings! I leave you for now with a picture of a baby pig cuddling a tiger:

(For context, this is not pork in the making; the pig is dressed in tiger print and the tiger treats the pig as her own child. Life is adorable sometimes.)

[Original tags on this post: 24 hour play,Classescute fluffy thingsdrop/addI am late because I am a bad person,other stuff? I don’t know; I’m tired right now]

No comments:

Post a Comment