Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Emperor's New Title [2012/04/02]

[Because I'm pretending the post has a title, but it doesn't actually? Like the fable with — oh, whatever.]

So... Spring break is still over. My life is full of tragedy and woe.

I've had a pretty crazy week, though — or maybe it just feels crazy because usually my weeks are pretty slow. Who knows. I'm not built for such a hectic lifestyle.

The deal is that I really, really should have finished my creative writing paper over Spring Break, except then I didn't, so I had to write it all this past week and for some reason it was giving me a huge amount of trouble, and then I had other homework and then suddenly there were all these things that I needed to do and all these places that I was trying to be and —

...Basically, when I say I'm not built for a hectic lifestyle, I mean I'm not built for a lifestyle where I have due dates.

[Under the cut: My crazy week, another edition of My Life: Badly Drawn in Photoshop, and some photos of adorable animals. All the good stuff, basically.]

Okay, so despite homework and stuff, the Wesleyan Musical Theater had its first, "Hey, we're actually going to start taking this stuff seriously again" meeting of the year, in which we threw out a bunch of options for things we could adapt into brilliant works of musical/theatrical genius. My contribution to the list was Much Ado About Nothing, because Shakespeare is the BAMF-est BAMF ever to use iambic pentameter, and also because I knew for sure that it was in the public domain.

(We've been trying not to adapt anything not in the public domain, because copyright/buying the rights to something can be both tricky and expensive. Alas, this means that my dreams of Fight Club: The Musical! must be put on hold for now, but just you wait. Just... you... wait.)

I will admit that parts of the week are kind of a blur. (I'm tired, okay, so sue me.) Wednesday is memorable because I made whole-wheat-cinnamon-apple muffins on Wednesday, but I can't remember much of Thursday other than that it was a day of death and insanity, as per usual.

On Friday I spent the afternoon making ridiculously sugary things, including chocolate bark filled with sunflower seed butter, honey, and toasted coconut:
 

and cookies with chocolate chips, coconut, and caramel:

Which actually gave me a bit of trouble, because they were supposed to have toffee bits in them, but WEShop is apparently full of people who hate me as much as they hate happiness, because... Yeah, okay, this is time for a Hyperbole And A Half-inspired comic. (At least, I hope it is. Even if it isn't, I'm going to pretend it is, because I already drew the panels and I'd rather not have wasted all that effort.)

So I get to WEShop and I make my way to that familiar haunt of mine, the baking aisle.



I'm pretty sure at this point that they'll have toffee chips, because for such a small store, WEShop is surprisingly well-stocked. It sometimes has things I haven't been able to find in far larger chain grocery stores (by which I mean chia seeds) while simultaneously carrying things that I wouldn't be able to find in stores of a similarly diminutive size (like wonton wrappers).



And yet, I notice that upon first glance, my stalwart WEShop has failed me.



There are no toffee chips. There is, in fact, a distinct lack of toffee chips.



So I think, "Okay, that's fine, maybe it's kind of a random thing. They have to have some kind of toffee candy bar, though, like a Heath bar or something. I'll go grab one of those, no problem."

But... No. I make a circuit of the store, glaring at everything from the chocolate bars by the cash registers to the bins of candy at the back, and everything is toffee-free.

So I go back to the baking aisle. Because they must have it, right? Somewhere, hidden among the bags of Nestle and Ghirardelli, there must be toffee in this store. Right? Right?



They're obviously just hiding somewhere between the bags of things-that-could-be-toffee-chips-but-aren't-because-life-hates-me.



THEY HAVE TO BE THERE GODDAMNIT BECAUSE HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COCONUT TOFFEE-CARAMEL COOKIES IF I DO NOT HAVE COFFEE CHIPS, HMM? HMMMMM?



HMMMMMMMMMMMM?



...



But, alas, they were not there, and I was toffee-less. Eventually I decided that I had enough time to whip up a batch of caramel, slather it on some parchment paper, and stick it in the freezer to firm up, and that ended up working out fine.

(I'm still disappointed in you, WEShop. I thought we were pals.)

Anyway, so after that I went to go talk to a high school junior who's looking at colleges, following which I ran off to Pistahan, the Philippine Cultural Show:



My former roommate was in it, and there was food and dancing and games, and a good time was had by all. After that, I immediately ran off to dinner with a bunch of my coworkers, bringing my ridiculously sugary sweets with me, and then I watched a thesis concert (I have no idea what the dude's name was, but he was a very talented saxophonist!), and then I caught the tail end of the Prometheus show by the observatory.

Prometheus, by the way, is our fire-spinning club. Yeah, that's right. Come to Wes, kids. We play with fire. Sometimes we run with scissors, too.



And then I got kidnapped by a friend of mind and then I went to sleep.

Saturday, I had TypeClub, then another WesMTC meeting (we decided to adapt a series of short stories about a gentleman thief), then dinner, and then I did homework. And watched Avatar: The Last Airbender.

And that's pretty much been about it for my week. It... was a lot more stressful than it sounds in my recap?

Well, whatever. As a reward for getting through all that, let's end this post in my favorite way to end a post: adorable animals!







[Original tags for this post: adorable things because I am boring,bakingcute fluffy thingsLOOK I DID THINGSmy life: badly drawn in photoshopstress and stufftotally self-indulgentwesmtc,yes this is how my brain works]

No comments:

Post a Comment