Sunday, May 18, 2014

Upfront and Judgmental: CBS Edition

Yes, it's silly to judge a show based on its pilot, much less its 3-minute upfronts reel. And yet, I get bored easily. (Honestly, these trailers aren't entirely helping. CBS takes itself so seriously, man.)

Let's get to it, ducklings.

Extant
I'm so curious about this title, honestly. Extant as in... currently existing? That's very SAT-prep of them. As opposed to extinct, I guess? Mostly it just makes me think of extinct mutants or something.

Also, between this and the new Rosemary's Baby, I guess this is just the summer for creepy pregnancy stories. (Specifically, stories about women of color being violated for horror purposes. Um. I'm not super in favor of this trend.) Which, like — I like Halle Berry, and I like spaceships, and I like robots, and I like mysterious stories about whether we're alone in the universe or not, but I am also immediately skeeved by anything involving: creepy pregnancy; rape/hella dubious consent; creepy children, whether they're robots or not; spouses who seem to know more than they're telling.

The trailer is edited well, but pretty much everything contained within the trailer is suggesting to me that this show has a greater-than-decent chance of being a catastrophe.


The McCarthys
...Huh. Has CBS ever had a show with a gay lead character? Okay, Wikipedia is telling me that there was The Ellen Show in 2001, and two different comedies about a straight dude-gay dude friendship, both of which lasted all of three months (Partners in 2012 and Some of My Best Friends in 2001). Still, I didn't expect that from CBS, which I generally tend to think of as the most old-fogey of the Big 4.

Of course, even old fogeys have their moments of "Oh, you're one of the gays? My nephew is one of the gays! They're very nice people, you know."

So let's just say I don't have high hopes for this one. Or much interest, unless they by some miracle decide to address things like, say, homophobia in the sports world. (Is that too much for a sitcom to address? NO. SMART COMEDY IS A GREAT TOOL FOR ADDRESSING COMPLICATED ISSUES. That's part of what can make comedy so effective and anyone who thinks otherwise can FIGHT ME.)

Also A) I'm having trouble suspending some disbelief, given that in my experience if you grow up around sports-obsessed people, you end up absorbing shit about sports against your will even if you hate sports, and B) I kind of just want that dude to move to Rhode Island. Spread your wings, man. It might be healthy.

Madam Secretary
Did they just yank the background music in this trailer straight out of every inspirational movie ever? Also, what are the chances that this show is going to have a sense of humor? Slim to nil?

This sort of looks like State of Affairs would if you stripped the ~~~sexy Scandal-esque adrenaline-fueled drama out of it. Which is, for the record, not necessarily a bad thing. I'm a little bored, and a little concerned about xenophobia/Islamophobia (as I am for most political shows), but I'm willing to bet that it's going to get solid reviews come fall.

NCIS: New Orleans
Oh god, why.

(Look. It's another NCIS. There's really nothing else to actually say about this.)

Scorpion
So are they just taking all the scrappy genius sidekicks and giving them a show of their own? And then throwing a small child and a plucky waitress in there for added measure? Oh god, is she going to be the "practical smarts" the rest of them so desperately need?

...I'm bored. Also, kind of annoyed that on a team of the smartest people in the world, they manage to have only one lady and one person of color, and they're the same person. (I'm not sure about the main actor, but his family are all white in that flashback clip.) But hey, if it ends up having at least some semblance of a sense of humor, it could potentially be kind of ridiculous and amusing in the same vein as, say, Person of Interest. 

(Does hacking even work that way? Does psychiatry even work that way?)

Stalker
So, on the one hand, it's not necessarily a bad thing to draw attention to how huge a problem stalking is in this country. On the other hand, this seems like a series that's automatically set up to feature a lot of violence against and victimization of women, which makes me a little wary. Some shows do it less horribly than others, but that's... still not something I'm particularly interested in watching, you know?

On the other other hand, Maggie Q is a goddess.

CBS didn't release pilots for the midseason shows CSI: Cyber (ahahahahaha THAT NAME ALONE), Battle Creek (about "two mismatched law enforcement officers whose polar opposite views of the world and crime-solving breed frustration, disdain, humor and possibly a grudging respect," because that doesn't sound like every single other cop show duo ever. I guess the difference is that it's in Michigan?), and The Odd Couple (man, how many times has this freaking play been adapted? I hope Neil Simon is raking in the royalties). I am interested in... approximately none of these things. Sorry, CBS. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment